Monday, May 17, 2010

The epic craft faire

So the craft faire adventure was epic. For starters, Napa is further than I understood. It is about 2 hours away. However, we had to come back Saturday night, which made the trip seem farther.
So our saga really begins Friday night. We had way too much to do in way too short a time. There were coffee runs, excellent chinese food, harsh words, heartfelt conversations, musicals, and maniacal giggling. We finally went to bed at 3 am, woke up at 6, finished measuring out yarn, packed up the car, picked up the Warebeast at 8, and headed out to Napa. After I took the wrong 80 and ended up on the bay bridge, we had to turn around on Treasure Island.
Now, I have lived in Northern California for 6 years, and have family who live in Berkeley so I have crossed the Bay Bridge several times. I have always wondered what Treasure Island was and rather than look it up, I made up an elaborate story in my head about it. Well, it turns out that Treasure Island is a tiny stretch of land, with a lot of cops, slow speed limits, and about a million cement mixers. Ok. Maybe not a million, but the fact is that we passed 4 cement truck in 5 minutes. The weirdest thing is that they were all going different directions.
So, after we stop at Freya's mom's house to pee, Warebeast takes over driving, since he has gotten a full night of sleep and has a much better since of direction than I do. Freya and I continue to skein balls of yarn in a desperate attempt to get ready. We finally get to the venue about an hour later than we anticipated, which we think is when the faire begins. Turns out it didn't begin until noon, so we had another hour. We get everything labeled and set out and waited. And waited. We sold a few things, packed up, drove home. Freya fell asleep when we got home and sleep for 12 hours. Warebeast and I had some fries and then followed suit. We got up the next morning and rinsed and repeated. This time without Warebeast and substituting the Boy. And of course less getting lost.
On Sunday, there were baby goats. 5 days old. They were wonderful. The faire seemed to go better on Sunday. More people took cards etc. The ride home was uneventful and we slept normally. Now, we just have to get the house recovered from the month of prep!

No comments: