Friday, January 1, 2010

Krod Mandoon


So I realize this is supposed to be a crafting blog but I don't care. I was sick on new years eve and went to bed early so I've got to get excited about something gorrammit!

I grew up watching a lot of shows like Xena and Hercules and Beastmaster. That whole genre, while horribly campy, is very dear to me. So last night the Boy and I cuddled up with our knitting and he introduced me to the mini-series Krod Mandoon which is a satire of all those heroic fantasy shows of the 90's.



I was laughing my ass off. It's clever and crude without being obscene. There are moments which reference not only the cheesey low-budget shows thats it's created to poke fun at, but also pop culture, like when the loathesome oaf of a villain is puplicly scolding Krod, the good looking, affable hero. At the press conference he quotes of former prez, "Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me... fool me... you can't get fooled again!" A perfectly seamless lead-in to the episode in which the tyrant must welcome a weapons' inspector into his castle where he is hiding some great arcane relic of death, doom and destruction.



So my new year didn't start with a bang, it started with a giggle. Somehow I think that's just as good. I could go on to list all my boring and generic new years resolutions but really I think it's better if I leave it with these parting worlds:




*Happy New Year!*

No comments: